Thursday, August 14, 2008

First Day of Being a Real Adult

Today was the first day of becoming a real adult. I know its weird that I do not consider being married being an adult or even graduating from College, nope for me its having a real full time job where I am considered the expert and the adult in the room.

Today did not so much feel as I was the adult in the room though because even thought today was new teacher orientation I would say the average age was close to 35. And just to show how naive I am that was very shocking. It makes sense that many teachers would transfer into the district and out all the time but I would think it feels very condescending to be lumped with the first year teachers in this orientation. It was very lame and such a waste of time. Even A&M has fish camp (for freshman) and T-camp (for transfer students) because it would be ridiculous to sit through a entire session or sessions on our first time in college or first time teaching for that matter.

It seems my district would be better served by taking those somewhat experienced teachers and having a day or two for them that just got them acquainted with the district policies and procedures instead of walking them through everything like classroom management and first day jitters.

As you can probably tell it seemed very time wasting. The only thing I know was helpful was that I got my key to my classroom, finally! So a quick break down of the schedule so I don't seem so whiney and you can see what it was like.
We had to be there at 7:30 but that was just for breakfast. Thanks to the district for getting us free food but I would rather have slept a little extra sense I couldn't fall asleep till after 2:30.
Finally at 8 we had break out sessions with our campuses. My class was up stairs and once we got in there it was apparent there was poor planning and there were like 30 too many people for that room. So we moved rooms after like 15 minutes and started late. They laughed it off as something to learn from because it would indefinitely had to us the first day. But I did not think it was funny because if they cannot get it done right what are we learning from them for. That session lasted till 10:15 and was a showcase of the outdated visuals and music selections of the district. It was very corny and very 90s. Not to mention we rewatched the Harry Wong videos we had watched in full this summer at A&M. All in all seemed very unuseful and unorganized or more unpracticed.
Then, this is the part that irks me the most, we went to the auditorium for an hour long of welcomes from the head administrators. It was nothing more than boring words from a bunch of people. I guess it is important to meet the superintendent and all but still it was no useful information and they said over and over again is "Welcome to the District" over and over and over. It was very silly.
The we had an hour lunch which was provided and nice. Nothing ill to say about that.
The we went to our break out sessions for our content areas. This was exciting because all of us from the A&M program had a class together this summer and it was like a great reunion. This class was going good at first because it was a lot of information we really wanteed, like days we had professional development and so forth. It got bad when they had us do a scavenger hunt on the district server. It just felt very childish and that they could not count that we could just remember what they said. It took too long and was too involved. The to make matter worse they preceded to make us participate as students in a Geography Live! lesson. It was a cool lesson but they assumed we all knew the information instead of providing the information like we would to students. I am not good at geog so I was pissed. Again it took too long and made us restless. Then we were given info on organizations to join and that was nice then we got door prizes. Yay!
Finally when we got to leave I hod to haul across town to sign my contract. It was a mess because it took almost an hour and I had to fight with them to take my new last name rather than my maiden name.
Once I got home 2 hours after I got done with school I immediately fell asleep until the Olympics started and it might have been a mistake since I need to get up early again tomorrow but at the same time I want to see Cl8n tonight when he gets home from work.
This is going to be a very crazy weekend because tomorrow is Cade's going away party fr the Marines. I am sad but also proud. I have to make some food for the party tonight and get all packed up for the long weekend at home. Well I will be back soon!

Love you always Cl8n
Krister

No comments: