Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Breaking Dawn

OK I know I am 22 almost 23 but I cannot help but fall into YA fiction.

It did not all start but got much worse last summer when I was the Youth Librarian for my old Public Library. It was just a job but I fell in love. I loved the people, the work and the books. Oh the books! I went to work everyday and got to be around books. Who could ask for more?

I had three or four volunteers that worked under me including Cl8n's sister, Morgan. Morgan and this other kid Matt were my two favorites and we really connected. They are both really young, just getting in high school but they were fun to be around for work. Throughout the summer we really got into reading. I probably read a good 100 books last summer plus completing the 100 best children's books and working my way at least half way through the AFI's top 100 movies of all time. Matthew really got my into quite a few different series but the one that I am absolutely obsessed with it Twilight Sags by Stephenie Meyer.

Twilight was enthralling. I could not put it down. New Moon was captivating but I was not pleased with the book until the very end. Eclipse was the most moving, I cried during a few good parts. I loved Bella and Edward. I dreamed about them all the time. Finally Breaking Dawn was coming....

Last Friday it finally came. I went to Barnes and Nobel with Cl8n and another teacher friend and her little sister to get the book when it came out at 12:01. I was so excited. When we finally got there I regretted it immediately. There was no fun Twilight stuff going on. Just an extremely packed store. We immediately got in line behind a group of girls who don't even warrant an explanation other than "ugh". Finally we got the book and left and I was happy again. I had the book in hand and felt the world was right.

My plan was to read it very slowly kinda like I did with Harry Potter 7 so it wasn't completely over for me, not yet at least. Same with Breaking Dawn, I wasn't ready to let go yet. I wanted to just read a few pages but when 6 am came and I was on page 278 I knew all was lost.

The worst part was that since Cl8n's grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary party was the next day in Glenn Rose we had a 4 1/2 hour drive at 9 that morning. I slept till 8 then got up to get ready. I was so tired and grouchy but I managed to read about 30 pages on the road which is a feat since I get really car sick. That took up most of our day then dinner with my 'rents and finally the same 4 1/2 hour drive back to Houston put us home after midnight. I slept in the next morning but poor Cl8n had work an hour away at 9am. I had my final paper due for my summer II class but I wasn't going to let that stand between me and Breaking Dawn. So of course I put the paper off and read like there was no tomorrow because clearly my "take my time" plan wasn't working for me. I finished it before 9pm

I loved it.

Once I finish reading Eclipse aloud to Cl8n then I will read Breaking Dawn to him and I think that is the only thing holding me together. I know it ill be devastating when I don't have to check StephenieMeyer.com everyday. Until then I will just keep rereading the books.

I need another great love story to keep my attention but for now....

I am on to Maximum Ride.

The better half,
~Krister

No comments: